Northland's Shining Jewel
Campground bookings and prices contact:
Come stay and play at Kai Iwi Lakes, Taharoa Domain, one of New Zealand's best holiday spots. Only three hours from Auckland, 35 kilometres from Dargaville. Nestled amongst 538 hectares of premier recreation reserve with white sand freshwater dune lakes renowned for their jewel‑like beauty and clear waters.
Perfect for a wonderful camping experience with the choice of two campgrounds located on lake foreshore, both offering an ideal camping experience for tents, caravans or motorhomes.
Pine Beach has campsites, wash and shower facilities, two flushing toilet blocks, playground and summer seasonal services, including mobile shop and campground staff located onsite. There are a limited number of powered sites, at an extra charge of $10 per night that must be booked as per the other sites at the campground.
Promenade Point has camping areas and a new toilet block however no shower facilities and is a true relaxed kiwiana camping experience.
There is a strict no pets policy to protect the native wildlife.
The Taharoa Domain reserve's beautiful crystal clear Kai Iwi Lakes are ideal for safe swimming, kayaking, fishing, boating and water skiing.
Normal Maritime Rules apply on all waterways - under those rules boats are restricted to a speed of no more than 5 knots within 200 metres of the shore. See map of restricted area link on right.
Explore and enjoy bush and open country walking tracks with native wildlife and revegetation programme making this a premier Northland reserve close to surf beaches, Waipoua Forest and other Kauri Coast and Northland attractions.
Pine Beach and Promenade Point Campgrounds
Taharoa Domain has two established campgrounds located on the beachfront of Lake Taharoa. Both offer a true kiwi camping experience for tents, caravans or motorhomes.
Refer link on right for camping rules
- Bookings are made per person, not per campsite.
- Bookings are required at all times of the year.
- Payment is required in FULL within 14 days of making a booking.
- If your intended stay is within the 14 day period, payment is required at the time of the booking.
- ALL CAMPERS MUST CHECK IN AT THE OFFICE UPON ARRIVAL.
- There will be no refunds issued for any part of your stay including changes or amendments to numbers, early departures or non‑arrivals.
Pine Beach (400 people)
- Hot water showers.
- Flush toilets.
- No kitchen facilities.
- Powered and non-powered sites. There are a limited number of powered sites at an extra charge of $10 per night, which are to be booked as per the other sites at the campground.
- Ice available from office.
- Small shop onsite - bread, milk, takeaways, cold drinks (open peak times).
- Internet WiFi
Promenade Point (100 people)
- Flush toilets.
- Fresh drinking water.
- No electricity.
Summer Prices 01 December - 30 April
$15.00 Per adult, per night (15 years plus)
$8.00 Per child, per night (0-14 years)
$15.00 Pine Beach powered sites have an extra charge of $15 per night and must be booked as per all other sites
Winter Prices 01 May - 31 November
$12.00 Per adult, per night (15 years plus)
$6.00 Per child, per night (0-14 years)
$12.00 Pine Beach powered sites have an extra charge of $15 per night and must be booked as per all other sites
Please click on the link at right below to view feedback from campers.
If you would like to have your say about a specific campground please email firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the email address below to give your feedback.