Bylaws are local laws or regulations, enforceable by Council staff or nominated agencies or staff. Most bylaws are made under the Local Government Act 2002. Some other Acts also empower the Council to make bylaws on specific topics, and the bylaws may be supported by accompanying policies.
Bylaws are created to make our district a healthy and safe place, and largely cover health, safety and environmental issues. Bylaws are created to:
- Minimise the potential for offensive behaviour in public places;
- Protect, promote and maintain public health and safety; and
- Protect the public from nuisance.
Council's bylaws cover a wide range of functions. When making, amending or revoking a bylaw, we must consult with the public before making a decision. The Local Government Act 2002 enforces a statutory timetable on when bylaws must be reviewed.
Council has a number of bylaws which regulate specific activities. The General Bylaw (2008) covers a wide range of topics, while specific-activity bylaws also cover activities such as liquor control, speed limits and dog control.
Councils’ bylaws are shown in the table below.
Kaipara District Council Bylaws
- Public Places
- Trading in Public Places
- Solid Waste
- Control of Advertising Signs
- Amusement Galleries
- Fires in the Open Air "In accordance with the Fire and Emergency New Zealand Act 2017, a number of functions formerly undertaken by Council are now the responsibility of Fire and Emergency New Zealand (FENZ). This change required Council to review its fire bylaw provisions in order for Council’s legal instruments to align with the new Act. As part of this review, Kaipara District Council has chosen to revoke Part 7 “Fires In The Open Air” of the Kaipara District Council’s General Bylaws by resolution under section 152B of the Local Government Act 2002 at its 26 April 2018 Ordinary Council Meeting.”
- Keeping of Animals, Poultry and Bees
- Cemeteries and Crematoria
- Public Libraries
- Cultural and Recreation Facilities
- Gin Traps
- Water Supply
- Land Drainage
Alcohol Control Bylaw 2018
Wastewater Drainage Bylaw 2016
Speed Limits Bylaw 2018
Policy on Dogs & Dog Bylaw 2019 (This bylaw was reviewed in 2019. See Dog Bylaw and Policy Review for more information)
Draft Kai Iwi Lakes (Taharoa Domain) Power Boat Bylaw 2015
If you wish to make a complaint about a bylaw breach, or have a general inquiry about any of our bylaws, please contact us on: