Traffic Management Plans

Parties undertaking activities on roads that are likely to affect the flow of traffic or pose a hazard to other road users, will require a Traffic Management Plan before Council can give approval for these activities to proceed.

The above applies to any activity that varies the normal conditions of any road and includes the total road reserve/corridor. 

What is a Road Reserve/Corridor?

A road reserve is defined as the area of land between legal boundaries, usually fence-line to fence-line and including any safety run-off areas, which is dedicated to allow the passage of road users. 

The road reserve also includes air space of six metres directly above the road surface. 


 If pedestrians, cyclists and traffic cannot use the road as they usually would or you need signage to manage a site, this would all need to be detailed on the TMP.

Sometimes a TMP is also required for activities taking place on private property that may increase normal traffic flow, such as an event or construction site.  Event organisers are responsible for all costs associated with a TMP, which can vary depending on the size and location of your event.

A Traffic Management Plan (TMP) details how a safe environment will be created for all road users while your work or activity takes place on the roading corridor (footpath or berm). 

The plan must detail all signage, temporary traffic controls and detours (if necessary) to allow your activity to take place. 

KDC have adopted NZTA's Code of Practice for Temporary Traffic Management (CoPTTM). This describes best practice for the safe and efficient management and operation of temporary traffic management on all roads in New Zealand.

A registered Site Traffic Management Supervisor (STMS) must be engaged to prepare the Traffic Management Plan at the cost of the applicant.  The Traffic Management Plan must then be presented to Council, as the roading authority, for approval.

The Council does not prepare TMPs, but you can contact traffic management companies or a qualified individual to prepare this plan on your behalf.

All traffic management plans must be submitted electronically;

  • either using beforeUdig for excavation projects that will also require services to be located
  • or by using Submitica for other work

Sometimes other Council permits or permissions are required alongside your TMP:

  • Planning to dig in a street, footpath, road berm or ‘paper road’ administered by us:

You may require a Corridor Access Request