The Food Act
Setting up a new business
Mobile food premises
Food Stalls
Home Kitchens
Fees and charges
Making a health complaint

The Food Act 2014

Requires any person company or organisation who prepares, manufactures or sells food to be registered with Council or the Ministry for Primary Industries.  The Food Act 2014 also impacts on the requirements for Hospitals, Early Childcare Centres and Schools.  Existing food businesses currently registered under the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 are required to transition to the new Food Act 2014 over the next three years.

To find out when your existing food business must be transitioned to the new Food Act 2014 view the transition timetable
 issued by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)  Food Act 2014 Transition Table.

For information on the new requirements and rules you need to follow and where your business fits under Where Do I Fit?.

Health - Page Food-695

Setting up a new business or taking over an existing business

If you are intending to start a new business preparing or selling food to the public you must register your business with Council.  You may also require a building consent or land use consent. Talk with our Building and Planning Teams to check our requirements. If you are taking over an existing food premises, you will need to operate under the Food Act 2014. Registration for Food Business and MPI's Scope of Operations.

Mobile food premises

To sell and or prepare food from a mobile vehicle you are required to register under the Food Act 2014.
Registration for Food Business and MPI's Scope of Operations. (Template Food Control Plan)
Health Page - Truck-233

Food Stalls

To sell and or prepare food from a stall you are required to register under the Food Act 2014.
Stall for One Day Event Application Form and MPI's Scope of Operations. (Template Food Control Plan)

Home Kitchens

Home Kitchens Checklist

Fees and Charges

Fees and Charges 2018/2019

Making a health complaint

If you see or experience something that you feel is unsafe practice from a food premises you may submit your complaint through our website or phone the Environmental Health team on 0800 727 059.


Online requests 

Kaipara District Council
0800 727 059 (24 Hours)
Phone: +64 9 439 7059


Office hours: 8 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday

Address: 42 Hokianga Road, Dargaville 0310
Address: Unit 6, The Hub, 6 Molesworth Drive, Mangawhai 0505

Mail: Private Bag 1001, Dargaville 0340


  • icon 04
  • icon 03
  • 1485426244 Google Plus Color