Wandering Stock

bullTo report wandering stock - telephone: 0800 105 890

Stock are not permitted to wander free on roads or public places

Stock wandering uncontrolled on roads and in public places are serious hazards for both people and road traffic particularly at night.  Stock includes a horse; cow, bull, cattle, deer, sheep, donkey, mule, pig, goat or other animal.  Promptly notify Council’s contractor Armourguard about wandering stock on freephone 0800 105 890. They provide a 24 hours 7 days a week service. If there is imminent danger to life or you have come across an accident involving stock please call the police via the "111" emergency service.  They will notify Council's Animal Management staff and provide traffic control until the animals are safely dealt with.

Stock on private property

If stock has wandered on to your land, please attempt to find the owner of the stock and return the stock directly with the owner.  If you are unable to locate the owner within 48 hours, you may contact Council if you wish to have the stock impounded.
All charges for transporting the stock, trespass rates and sustenance fees etcetera will be the responsibility of the owner of the stock who will be required to reimburse costs before the stock is released. If the owner of the stock cannot be traced the stock is auctioned and the proceeds used to reimburse the affected parties.

Please note that Animal Management officers will not investigate the removal of bulls unless they are loose on the road. Concerns regarding bulls on land should be referred to MAF.

Wandering stock may be impounded

Council’s Animal Management officers will impound stock found wandering at large on roads or in any public place.  Impounded animals are held in the Council pound until claimed or disposed of.
Unclaimed animals may be are sold by public tender advertised in local newspapers or otherwise disposed of.

Impounded animals may be returned to their owner

Impounded animals may be reclaimed from Council:
  • Upon payment of the impounding, holding and food costs; and
  • Upon production of proof of ownership.

You can make inquiries with Council about impounded stock

To inquire about a missing or impounded animal, call Council’s Contractor Armourguard on freephone 0800 10 58 90.
Straying marine animals may also cause a problem
Straying marine animals i.e. seals, penguins etcetera, may sometimes become at risk or cause a nuisance. You are requested to report stranded, straying or dead marine animals immediately to the Department of Conservation (DOC) on its freephone number 0800 362 468.  Where the animal is creating a nuisance, impeding traffic or endangering any person or themselves notify the Police also via the "111" service.

Links to more animal information

Kaipara District Council links: External links:


Online requests 

Kaipara District Council
0800 727 059 (24 Hours)
Phone: +64 9 439 7059
Email: council@kaipara.govt.nz


Office hours: 8 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday

Address: 42 Hokianga Road, Dargaville 0310
Address: Unit 6, The Hub, 6 Molesworth Drive, Mangawhai 0505

Mail: Private Bag 1001, Dargaville 0340


  • icon 04
  • icon 03
  • 1485426244 Google Plus Color