Nominations for these awards will open 1 May 2021 until 31 May 2021.
The Kaipara District Council annual Environmental Awards formally acknowledge the work of individuals and organisations who protect and enhance our District’s unique environment.
There are five categories of awards:
- Environmental Action in the Community – this award recognises individuals or groups who are working collaboratively within our community to protect and improve the Kaipara’s environment.
- Environmental Action in Education – this award recognises those that are driving learning and action to bring about change on environmental issues. The award is specific to schools, Kura kaupapa Māori, early childhood centres or tertiary institutions, and can include the whole school, groups or individuals.
- Environmental Action in Business/Industry – recognises businesses (individual or collective) that demonstrate a notable contribution to the sustainable development of natural resources in the Kaipara.
- Environmental Youth Leadership – recognises an individual or group whose leadership, support of others and willingness to share ideas and resources is making a significant contribution to the Kaipara’s environment. This award is only open to young people under the age of 25 years and/or a youth group/programme.
- Kaitiakitanga – recognises the unique relationship tangata whenua have with natural and physical resources in accordance with tikanga Māori, and is open to whanau, hāpu, iwi and Māori organisations
Previous winners are:
- Environmental Action in the Community
- Allister McCahon
- Maree McCahon
- Maxine Stringer
- Environmental Action in Education
- Dargaville Intermediate School Native Plant Nursery
- Te Roroa - Te Toa Whenua