Waste Management and Minimisation Plan
We have a plan for reducing waste to help make our district an even better place to live.
As required by the Waste Minimisation Act 2008, our Waste Management and Minimisation Plan (WMMP) has been developed to protect our district from harm and to provide environmental, social, economic and cultural benefits.
Our WMMP goals are to:
- To reduce the quantity of recoverable material entering landfill,
- To provide safe, environmentally sustainable and hygienic refuse collection and disposal,
- To reduce illegal dumping and associated negative environmental impact,
- To improve available information on waste generation, diversion and disposal,
- To avoid materials becoming waste, and
- To support combined local government and waste sector activities.
A key part to working towards this goal involves considering the role of waste in the wider economy, including issues of resource efficiency and viewing waste as a resource, rather than as an issue to be managed.
Kaipara District Council proposes to continue to provide a range of waste management and minimisation services similar to those currently in place. In addition, Council support the community to achieve further waste diversion through education and supporting local waste minimisation initiatives.
Read the full plan: Waste Management and Minimisation Plan (2017)