Vehicle Crossings

Vehicle Crossing

All vehicle crossings must be created, operated and maintained in accordance with Section 335 of the Local Government Act 1974 and Council’s General Bylaws, particularly clause 207.

Anyone wishing to construct a vehicle crossing must apply for and obtain a permit from Council.

Vehicle crossings shall be provided at the applicant’s expense, to an approved design under Council's supervision and in accordance with Council’s Engineering Standards.  In terms of the Bylaws, Council may refuse consent where, in its opinion, the existence of the crossing may cause danger or obstruction.

Upgrading of surface water channels may necessitate the installation of a culvert where no culvert has been placed before.  Property owners will be required to provide new culvert pipes.

Where Council upgrades a road necessitating the replacement of approved culverts or crossings, Council will replace these at no cost to the property owner.

If in the opinion of Council any crossing is in a bad or unsafe state of repair, Council may, by notice in writing, require the owner of the land which the crossing provides access to, to repair, reconstruct or renew such crossing to the satisfaction of Council.  Alternatively, the landowner and Council may choose for Council to undertake the repair at the landowner’s expense.  Scheduled crossings across Council drains in drainage areas shall comply with Council’s General Bylaws, particularly clause 1716.

On sealed roads, entrance-ways shall be sealed or concreted to avoid damage to the edge of the road seal. 
The maintenance of any vehicle crossings provided under this section remain the responsibility of the property owner, except when damaged by any Council road maintenance related activity.
Council may grant permits for temporary vehicle crossings where these are needed for a temporary activity e.g. forestry harvesting.  For the purpose of temporary vehicle crossings, “temporary” shall generally be defined by Council as no longer than three (3) months.  Reinstatement work, following the removal of the temporary crossing, will be done to Council’s satisfaction at the landowner’s expense.
Council may request a bond at the installation of a temporary vehicle crossing on a sealed road instead of requiring the temporary vehicle crossing to be concreted , as is otherwise required for permanent vehicle crossings.
Council may require an approved Traffic Management Plan for temporary crossings depending on the nature of the activity being undertaken.
Where a vehicle crossing, temporary or otherwise has been constructed or allowed to remain in place without the consent of Council, Council may remove the crossing, and all materials and structures pertaining to the crossing, in accordance with clause 108 of Council’s General Bylaws.