Setting up a new business or taking over an existing business

If you are intending to start a new business preparing or selling food to the public you must register your business with the Council.  You may also require a Building Consent or Resource Consent. Our team may contact you if a consent is required.

If you are taking over an existing food premises, you will need to operate under the Food Act 2014. Food control plans and national programmes are non-transferable. You will therefore be required to apply for a new food control plan, or a new national programme.

The following are forms designed to assist you:

If you intend to sell or supply alcohol, you will be required to apply for a liquor licence as well. Please refer to Alcohol Licensing for further information.

  • Please refer to the current fees and charges register for costs relating to registering and operating a food business.