Should an emergency occur, the Council could declare a Civil Defence emergency.
Once a declaration has been made, the Civil Defence Controller and the Police have the legal authority to:
- Evacuate buildings and places;
- Restrict entry into buildings, including private homes;
- Close roads and public places;
- Remove vehicles that impede emergency services and civil defence work;
- Requisition items that are needed to save lives.
Emergency Management is everyone's business
In New Zealand we are constantly exposed to the risk of disaster. It is important that we understand these risks and what they can do to us. However, there are measures we can all take to reduce the impact of disasters and be better prepared to recover quickly.
These measures include:
- Securing heavy objects to prevent damage during an earthquake;
- Keeping drains and waterways clear to reduce flooding;
- Being careful with how we use our land.
The Kaipara District Council is doing these things as well.
Contact us for more information about how you can get involved in emergency management so you can help your community, your family and yourself.Refer to the emergency advice section in your Yellow Pages or you can visit the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management's website at www.civildefence.govt.nz.