Code Compliance Certificate

What is a Code Compliance Certificate?

A Code Compliance Certificate is Council’s verification that all works undertaken comply with the approved Building Consent. It is an important document and should be retained for future reference.

It is mandatory to apply for a Code Compliance Certificate after all work has been completed.

Council has 20 working days to decide whether to issue or to refuse to issue a Code Compliance Certificate.


 What about issuing Code Compliance Certificates for Building Consents issued under the 1991 Act or that have not been issued by Council?

Providing Council are satisfied the building work has been constructed to comply with the Building Code in place at the time of construction and has continued to meet the provisions of the Building Code, a Code Compliance Certificate may be considered(this includes maintenance).

If Council cannot be satisfied on reasonable grounds, a Code Compliance Certificate may be refused.

Should Council refuse to issue a Code Compliance Certificate and you consider that this is not justified then you may wish to approach the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) ( and obtain a Determination.

What is a Determination?

A Determination is a binding decision made by the MBIE.

It provides a way of solving disputes or questions about the rules that apply to buildings, how buildings are used, building accessibility, health and safety.

Although Determinations are generally sought because a building owner disagrees with Council about decisions made in regard to their building; a Determination can be applied for by Council or by a neighbour who may be affected by building work.

Applying for a Determination

Applications for Determination and the associated cost may be found on the MBIE website

How long does it take to get the Determination?

The MBIE is required to issue the final Determination within 60 working days of receiving the application, or longer if agreed to by the parties.

The 60 working day period does not include time delays while waiting for information or comment from other parties - the ‘clock is stopped’ during these times.

If you cannot provide the information by the date given, you may request an extension.

The MBIE has the power to make the Determination if the information requested is not provided in reasonable time.

Building work that may need to be done before a Determination is issued

If you have been sent a Notice to Fix about work that is unsafe, you must comply with this notice. Otherwise, Council cannot require you to carry out building work related to the Determination unless the MBIE agrees this is necessary.