Civil Defence Emergency Management's role is to ensure public awareness of:
- Hazards around us
- How those hazards can be reduced
- What you can do to prepare yourselves for an emergency
- What to do during and immediately after an emergency.
The Kaipara District Council is responsible for the preparation of plans and programmes to:
- Reduce the identifiable hazards/risks
- Train staff to respond to any emergency event
- Co-ordinate any such response in cooperation in other emergency and welfare agencies, and
- Co-ordinate the immediate, medium and long term rehabilitation of the community, following a disaster.