How do I apply for a Resource Consent?

Once you have worked out that you need a resource consent, you will need to gather together the relevant information. While it is possible to prepare an application yourself, it is often advisable to talk to a planning consultant. Planning consultants are able to advise on the merits of your activity and if appropriate, prepare and lodge your resource consent application on your behalf.

We have prepared resource consent application guidance that is available for download on the A-Z Forms page on this website.

Use our pre-application service

Organising a pre-application meeting can help both you and the Council when assessing an application. Kaipara District Council provides an initial free 15 minutes pre-application service (following this half hour meetings will be charged at the planner’s hourly rate). We are happy to meet with you before you submit your application to help ensure your application contains all the necessary information. Your pre-application meeting may address the following matters.

  • Confirm whether you will actually need a resource consent by determining the activity status under the Kaipara District Plan.
  • Provide the relevant assessment criteria of the Kaipara District Plan that need to be addressed by you in your application.
  • Determine the fee required to lodge the application.
  • Identify the information requirements to accompany the application.
  • Explain the general resource consent process and the statutory timeframes for processing the application.
  • Provide initial input regarding people and properties which may be affected by your proposal.


You will need to bring with you:

  • Preliminary site plans for the activity.
  • Legal description or the address of the land where the proposed activity is to occur.
  • A clear description of what you are proposing.

Each Planner has a set afternoon for pre-application meetings on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons weekly. Appointments will not normally be accepted outside these times. You can organise an appointment with one of our Planners by calling us on 0800 727 059 or by emailing

You can also speak to our planning team on the phone or lodge a service request for information about District Plan rules which may affect your proposed activity.

Get an Application Form

You can get an application form from the A-Z Forms page on this website or from Council’s customer service centres in Dargaville and Mangawhai.

Our application forms set out the required information, including:

  • Relevant and up-to-date Application Form.
  • Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) including assessment against the District Plan objectives and policies.
  • Consultation with affected parties and written approvals (if required).
  • Full Certificate of Title – less than three months old.
  • The correct deposit or fixed fee – refer to the Fees and Charges Schedule.
  • Plans and technical reports – you may require specialist help in putting together this information.

  • An Assessment of Environmental Effects (AEE) is a key component of a Resource Consent application. The requirements for an AEE are set out in the Resource Management Act 1991 under Schedule 4. A guideline document for preparing an AEE is available here.

This checklist prepared by the Council planners for customer use also provides guidance on the information to include in consent applications including technical drawings/plans.

Get specialist reports if needed

Depending on your application, you may need to obtain a report from a professional. For example, if landscaping is an issue for your project, you may need to commission a landscape architect to prepare a report describing the effects of your project in landscape terms. Or, if you are in a flood zone, you may need to engage with a civil engineer.

The more detailed and accurate the information you provide us, the more quickly and efficiently we will be able to process your application.

Lodge your application with us

Please Note: Council will start processing your application once payment has been received.

Once your application is complete, you need to lodge BOTH a hard copy and an electronic copy with Council. Email your electronic copy to or provide via a USB with your hard copy. Your hard copy can be posted to the below address or you can also drop it off at a Council office in Mangawhai or Dargaville.

Resource Consent Applications
Kaipara District Council
Unit 6, 6 Molesworth Drive
Mangawhai 0505

Following lodgement of an application, it will be checked for completeness by a Council Planner before being formally received. If an application is lacking the relevant information, it will be considered to be incomplete. In this case, the application will be formally rejected, which would incur a rejection fee as per the current Fees & Charges.

Once your application is accepted as formally received you will be advised by an acknowledgement letter. Formally received applications are required to be processed within 20 working days.

Where do I go for help?

To find professional advice, you can try:

Forms and Guides

There are a number of guidance documents to assist customers with determining whether they need resource consent, what type of consent to apply for and whether consent applications are likely to be acceptable to Council.  These documents are prepared by Council planners to provide user-friendly advice to get customers started on their resource consent applications.

Find Online Forms and Guides. Hard copies are also available on request from Customer Services.