The Gambling Act 2003 regulates gambling activity in New Zealand, and while the majority of gambling is regulated by the Department of Internal Affairs, Kaipara District Council plays a small regulatory role. Council is required, under s101 of the Gambling Act to adopt a Class 4 Gambling Venues Policy.
Council is required to review the Class 4 Gambling Venues Policy every 3 years.
Council staff reviewed this Policy, and in July 2018 reported to the Council their findings. This was presented through a Review Report, which considered the social impact of gambling, and the Policy’s effectiveness to date.
Council resolved to direct the Chief Executive to investigate amendments to the Class 4 Gambling Policy, and this was reported back to Council in September 2018. At the Council meeting on 27 September 2018, Council resolved to adopt a Statement of Proposal, and an accompanying draft Class 4 Gambling Venues Policy to consult on.
The consultation period ran from 2 October 2018 until 5pm 5 November 2018. The submissions can be found here.
The hearing was held on 28 November 2018.
The following items were tabled:
- Dargaville Arts Associations's written presentation
- Pub Charity Limited's PowerPoint presentation
- Pub Charity Limited's written presentation
- Northland District Health Board's PowerPoint presentation
- Gambling Helpline cards (tabled by Mangawhai Activity Zone Charitable Trust)
- Late submission from Hockey Northland
The deliberations meeting was held on 28 November 2018.