Learn about safe fire practice, and find out about any fire restrictions in your area.
The Check it's Alright to Light
website is a single point of contact for all fire authorities in Northland.
Here you can learn about safe fire practice, and find out about any fire restrictions in your area.
f you are currently in a restricted fire status zone you can apply for a permit here.
For more information about Northland Fire and Emergency New Zealand.
Northern Fire and Emergency New Zealand
1B Recreation Road,
PO Box 74
(09) 401 0723
Phones monitored from 9am to 4pm weekdays.
RESTRICTED AND PROHIBITED FIRE SEASONS
If you are having a cooking fire, hangi/umu, wood/gas barbecue in all areas except public land you do not need a permit during a Restricted Fire Season or Prohibited Fire Season.
The following conditions must be met:
- The size of the fire is less than two metres in diameter;
- The fire is at least five metres clear of any combustible materials including buildings;
- There is at least one functioning garden hose available to control any breakout;
- Two people are in attendance at all times;
- All fires are extinguished before being left unattended and a check is made 30 minutes later to ensure it has not reignited;
- No fire will be lit within 50 metres of any scrub, forest, or reserve;
- You must have permission from the landowner to light the fire.