Having a Fire?

This page contains information about fire restrictions and fire permits, with links to relevant websites.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand is responsible for fire control and issues fire permits in urban and rural areas. Northland Regional Council is responsible for smoke nuisance.

Fire restrictions and permits
During the warmer dryer months, you will need a fire permit to light a fire in open air in urban and rural areas. To check if you need a fire permit and to apply for one if you do, go to www.checkitsalright.nz.

You can also call Fire and Emergency on 09 401 0723 if you prefer, or email us at Firepermit.northern@fireandemergency.nz

For information about safe fire practice, go to http://havingafire.org.nz/safe-fire-advice/

Contact Fire and Emergency

If you have questions or concerns about fire restrictions or fire permits, call fire and emergency on 09 401 0723.

 The Northland officer of Fire and Emergency is at:

1b Recreation Road


Northland, 0405.


Online requests 

Kaipara District Council
0800 727 059 (24 Hours)
Phone: +64 9 439 7059
Email: council@kaipara.govt.nz


Office hours: 8 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday

Address: 42 Hokianga Road, Dargaville 0310
Address: Unit 6, The Hub, 6 Molesworth Drive, Mangawhai 0505

Mail: Private Bag 1001, Dargaville 0340


  • icon 04
  • icon 03
  • 1485426244 Google Plus Color