Civil Defence Emergency Management's role is to ensure public awareness of:
- Hazards around us;
- How those hazards can be reduced;
- What you can do to prepare yourselves for an emergency;
- What to do during and immediately after an emergency.
The Kaipara District Council is responsible for the preparation of plans and programmes to:
- Reduce the identifiable hazards/risks;
- Train staff to respond to any emergency event;
- Co-ordinate any such response in co-operation in other emergency and welfare agencies; and
- Co-ordinate the immediate, medium and long term rehabilitation of the community, following a disaster.